Pennsylvania Counselor License Exam
Need of a License: A license is needed to work as a counselor in Pennsylvania. Licenses are granted by the State Board of Social Workers, Marriage, and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors
To qualify to become a licensed professional counselor in Pennsylvania, the following must be met:
- Obtain a graduate degree in counseling from an accredited school meeting credit limits.
- Meet supervised clinical experience requirements, 50% of which must be in:
- Other therapeutic interventions.
- Family therapy.
- Group therapy
- Pass the NCE (National Counselor Exam)
An application for licensure must be submitted on forms provided by the PA Board. of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors. The application licensure fee must be submitted by check or money order, payable to the ‘‘Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.’’ Two certificates of recommendation on forms furnished by the Board are needed, and an affirmation signed by the applicant verifying the information on the application. is true and correct. The application for licensure can be obtained by contacting the Board as follows:
State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors
Post Office Box 2649
Harrisburg, PA 17105-2649
Test Content of the NCE
The NCE measures the applicants’ knowledge of the following eight content areas:
- The psychology of Human growth and development
- Socio-cultural diversity
- Establishing Helping relationships
- Group dynamics and group therapy
- Career goals and development
- Assessment of psychopathology and treatment needs
- Research methods and program evaluation
- Professional orientation and ethical practice.
- Fundamental issues in counseling
- The process of counseling
- Diagnostic and assessment services
- Professional practice issues
- Ongoing professional development and the need for clinical supervision and consultation.
For more information, see the NCE Candidate Handbook.
How to Apply to Take the Exam
Apply online to take the NCE.
License or Certification Renewal and Continuing Education Requirements
To renew a license, regulations require 30 clock hours of continuing education in acceptable courses and programs offered by approved Continuing Education providers must be completed, including at least three hours on professional ethics. Up to 20 hours may be acquired from home study e.g., on- line webinars, reading and testing. Hours over 30 may not be carried over into the next licensure renewal period.
______________________________________________________For more information on licensing and exam prep, go to Tests.com's NCE Guide.
And take Tests.com's free NCE Practice Test.
For counseling exam preparation products and services, such as study guides, practice tests, flashcards and courses, go to Tests.com's NCE listings.
Stacy Fruhling, LCPC, LCADC, NCC, MAC,
Lisa Slade, MS, LPC, NCC,
OUR PRACTICE EXAM COVERS THE ACTUAL NCE DOMAINS:
The NCE contains 200 multiple-choice, non-sectioned questions. There are different versions of the test. Test questions come from a pool of questions that have been extensively reviewed and researched for content accuracy and clarity.
• Group Counseling and Group Work
• Assessment and Testing
• Research and Program Evaluation