Michigan Counselor License Exam
Need of a License: A license is needed to work as a counselor in Michigan. Licenses are granted by the Michigan Board of Counseling.
To qualify to become a licensed professional counselor in Michigan, the following must be met:
- Obtain a graduate degree in counseling from an accredited school meeting credit limits.
- Meet supervised clinical experience requirements of two years of post-graduate professional counseling.
- An applicant must earn a passing score on the NCE (National Counselor Exam).
The applications for licensure and other documentation can be obtained online. All documents must be sent to:
Board of Counseling
P.O. Box 30670
Lansing, MI 48909
Test Content of the NCE
The NCE measures the applicants’ knowledge of the following eight content areas:
- The psychology of human growth and development
- Socio-cultural diversity
- Establishing helping relationships
- Group dynamics and group therapy
- Career goals and development
- Assessment of psychopathology and treatment needs
- Research methods andprogram evaluation
- Professional orientation and ethical practice.
- Fundamental issues in counseling
- The process of counseling
- Diagnostic and assessment services
- Professional practice issues
- Ongoing professional development and the need for clinical supervision and consultation.
For more information, see the NCE Candidate Handbook.
How to Apply to Take the Exam
Apply online to take the NCE.
The exam is administered by Pearson VUE.
License Renewal and Continuing Education Requirements
There are no continuing education requirements for license renewal in Michigan.
______________________________________________________For more information on licensing and exam prep, go to Tests.com's NCE Guide.
And take Tests.com's free NCE Practice Test.
For counseling exam preparation products and services, such as study guides, practice tests, flashcards and courses, go to Tests.com's NCE listings.
Stacy Fruhling, LCPC, LCADC, NCC, MAC,
Lisa Slade, MS, LPC, NCC,
OUR PRACTICE EXAM COVERS THE ACTUAL NCE DOMAINS:
The NCE contains 200 multiple-choice, non-sectioned questions. There are different versions of the test. Test questions come from a pool of questions that have been extensively reviewed and researched for content accuracy and clarity.
• Group Counseling and Group Work
• Assessment and Testing
• Research and Program Evaluation