Indiana Counselor License Exam
Need of a License: A license is needed to work as a counselor in Indiana. Licenses are granted by the Indiana Behavioral Health & Human Services Licensing Board.
To qualify to become a licensed Mental Health Counselor in Indiana the following must be met:
- Obtain a graduate degree in counseling from an accredited school meeting credit limits.
- Meet supervised clinical experience requirements of 3,000 hours of postgraduate professional counseling, including at least 21months of supervision.
- An applicant must earn a passing score on the NCE (National Counselor Exam) , and the National Clinical Mental Health Counselor Examination (NCMHCE).
The applications for licensure and other documentation can be obtained online. All documents must be sent to:
Behavioral Health & Human Services Licensing Board
402 W. Washington Street, Room W072
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Test Content of the NCE
The NCE measures the applicants’ knowledge of the following eight content areas:
- The psychology of human growth & development
- Socio-cultural diversity
- Establishing helping relationships
- Group dynamics and group therapy
- Career goals and development
- Assessment of psychopathology and treatment needs
- Research methods &program evaluation
- Professional orientation and ethical practice.
- Fundamental issues in counseling
- The process of counseling
- Diagnostic and assessment services
- Professional practice issues
- Ongoing professional development and the need for clinical supervision and consultation.
For more information, see the NCE Candidate Handbook.
How to Apply to Take the Exam
Apply online to take the NCE.
Test content of the NCMHCE
The NCMHCE consists of ten hypothetical clinical mental health counseling cases. The cases are clinical simulations that use a multiple select/correct format where there are multiple options as possible correct answers. The questions are centered on the ten cases and explore the nuances of the particular case. The NCMHCE assesses an applicant’s ability to engage in clinical problem solving, including the identification, analysis, diagnosis and treatment of clinical issues.
Each of the ten cases is divided into five to eight sections and classified either as information gathering or decision making activities. The sections on Information gathering evaluate a candidate’s ability to gather clinical data that is needed in the decision making process. The sections on decision making evaluate a candidate’s ability to solve clinical problems using data.
The ten cases cover three content areas:
Assessment and Diagnosis
- Integration of client assessment & observational date
- Identification of precipitating problems/symptoms
- Identification of level of individual or relationship functioning
- Identification of pertinent familial issues
- Imparting information to the client about ethical standards and practice
- Clarification of roles of the counselor and client
- Apply individual counseling in accordance with the treatment plan
- Evaluation of referral information
- Maintenance of client records
- Determine if counseling services being delivered are meeting client needs
- Communicate orally with others to maintain professional communication
- Assistance clients to connect with needed social services
How to Apply to Take the Exam
You can find the registration information and the NCMHCE application online, or write:
The National Board of Certified Counselors
3 Terrace Way
Greensboro, North Carolina 27403-3660
The exam is administered by Pearson VUE.
License Renewal and Continuing Education Requirements
To renew a license, regulations require 20 clock hours of continuing education in acceptable courses and programs offered by approved Continuing Education providers every year, and 40 per two year renewal period.
______________________________________________________For more information on licensing and exam prep, go to Tests.com's NCE Guide.
And take Tests.com's free NCE Practice Test.
For counseling exam preparation products and services, such as study guides, practice tests, flashcards and courses, go to Tests.com's NCE listings.
Stacy Fruhling, LCPC, LCADC, NCC, MAC,
Lisa Slade, MS, LPC, NCC,
OUR PRACTICE EXAM COVERS THE ACTUAL NCE DOMAINS:
The NCE contains 200 multiple-choice, non-sectioned questions. There are different versions of the test. Test questions come from a pool of questions that have been extensively reviewed and researched for content accuracy and clarity.
• Group Counseling and Group Work
• Assessment and Testing
• Research and Program Evaluation