Hawaii Counselor License Exam
Need of a License: A license is needed to work as a counselor in the State of Hawaii. Licenses are granted by the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs Professional and Vocational Licensing.
To become a licensed professional counselor in Hawaii the following must be met:
- Obtain a graduate degree in counseling from an accredited school meeting credit limits.
Of not less than 3,000 hours of with 100 hours of face to face clinical supervision in not less than two years and in not more than four years
- An applicant must earn a passing score on the NCE (National Counselor Exam).
An application for licensure and other documentation can be obtained online. All documents must be sent to:
Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs - PVL
Mental Health Counselor Program
P.O. Box 3469
Honolulu, HI 96801
Test Content of the NCE
The NCE measures the applicants’ knowledge of the following eight content areas:
- The psychology of human growth and development
- Socio-cultural diversity
- Establishing helping relationships
- Group dynamics and group therapy
- Career goals and development
- Assessment of psychopathology and treatment needs
- Research methods andprogram evaluation
- Professional orientation and ethical practice.
- Fundamental issues in counseling
- The process of counseling
- Diagnostic and assessment services
- Professional practice issues
- Ongoing professional development and the need for clinical supervision and consultation.
For more information, see the NCE Candidate Handbook.
How to Apply to Take the Exam
Apply online to take the NCE.
The exam is administered by Pearson VUE.
License Renewal and Continuing Education Requirements
To renew a license, no continuing education is needed. The license needs to be renewed on a Triennial basis on June 30.
______________________________________________________For more information on licensing and exam prep, go to Tests.com's NCE Guide.
And take Tests.com's free NCE Practice Test.
For counseling exam preparation products and services, such as study guides, practice tests, flashcards and courses, go to Tests.com's NCE listings.
Stacy Fruhling, LCPC, LCADC, NCC, MAC,
Lisa Slade, MS, LPC, NCC,
OUR PRACTICE EXAM COVERS THE ACTUAL NCE DOMAINS:
The NCE contains 200 multiple-choice, non-sectioned questions. There are different versions of the test. Test questions come from a pool of questions that have been extensively reviewed and researched for content accuracy and clarity.
• Group Counseling and Group Work
• Assessment and Testing
• Research and Program Evaluation