Alabama Counselor License Exam
Need of a License: A license is needed to work as a counselor in Alabama. Licenses are granted by the Alabama Board of Examiners in Counseling.
To qualify to become a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in Alabama, the following must be met:
- Obtain a graduate degree in counseling from an accredited school meeting credit limits.
- Meet supervised clinical experience requirements of 3,000 hours of post-graduate professional counseling, including at least 2,250 hours of direct client contact, and 750 hours devoted to administrative tasks such as record keeping.
- An applicant must earn a passing score on the on the NCE (National Counselor Exam).
An application for licensure and other documentation can be obtained online. All documents must be sent to:
Test Content of the NCE
The NCE measures the applicants’ knowledge of the following eight content areas:
1. The psychology of human growth and development
2. Socio-cultural diversity
3. Establishing helping relationships
4. Group dynamics and group therapy
5. Career goals and development
6. Assessment of psychopathology and treatment needs
7. Research methods and program evaluation
8. Professional orientation and ethical practice.
The applicant’s knowledge of the following five work areas are also measured by the NCE:
- Fundamental issues in counseling
- The process of counseling
- Diagnostic and assessment services
- Professional practice issues
- Ongoing professional development and the need for clinical supervision and consultation.
For more information, see the NCE Candidate Handbook.
How to Apply to Take the Exam
A PDF of the NCE registration is available on -line, along with test dates.
License Renewal and Continuing Education Requirements
To renew a license, regulations require 40 clock hours of continuing education in acceptable courses and programs offered by approved Continuing Education providers. The hours must include six hours in professional ethics, and be completed every two year licensure renewal period.
For more information on licensing and exam prep, go to Tests.com's NCE Guide.
And take Tests.com's free NCE Practice Test.
For counseling exam preparation products and services, such as study guides, practice tests, flashcards and courses, go to Tests.com's NCE listings.
Stacy Fruhling, LCPC, LCADC, NCC, MAC,
Lisa Slade, MS, LPC, NCC,
OUR PRACTICE EXAM COVERS THE ACTUAL NCE DOMAINS:
The NCE contains 200 multiple-choice, non-sectioned questions. There are different versions of the test. Test questions come from a pool of questions that have been extensively reviewed and researched for content accuracy and clarity.
• Group Counseling and Group Work
• Assessment and Testing
• Research and Program Evaluation